Tuesday, August 25, 2009

besan mirchi ki chutney (chilli gramflour relish - HOT)

Hola,

My father hails from Hatod, a small village on the outskirts of Indore (where I grew up). While growing up, we used to go to Hatod pretty much every other week to meet my grandmother, cousins and uncle. During festive seasons, we used to stay there for weeks, as Indians celebrate festivals at the eldest surviving member of the clan.

It also reminds me of a hilarious anecdote from uni years. We went to the village on my dad's birthday to get blessings from grandma and it got a bit late while coming back. A physics lecture had started at 2:00pm and I entered the rather small lecture room of capacity 100 at 2:25. The lecturer, Mr. Ghatpande, nice fella, went crazy - "Who the hell do you think you are :@, strutting into the class late while everyone else is on time!!!". I pulled out an innocent face (yes, i have one of those for emergency situations) and replied politely, "sorry sir, i am coming from Hatod and the traffic was real bad".

Now, for that entire semester, Mr. G assumed that I come from Hatod *everyday*, while my house was in front of the uni. In fact, he thought that I bicycled all the way from Hatod as I mostly rode my bike from home. I distinctively remembered him mentioning to me once that Laal Bahadur Shastri (India's 3rd PM) also used to walk some 10 ks and swin across a river to reach school. Needless to say, I did not correct him. A couple of other guys got into trouble because of that; "look at him (pointing to me) and look at yourself - shameful!"(the evil application of comparisons :D).

But like all good things, this too, had to come to an end. I walked into the office of Dr. Saxena, our dean, and Mr. G was there, who started showering praises on me, "look at him, sir, this kid is a model student, riding his bike (he saw me on my bicycle a couple of times) 25 kms from Hatod every single day!". Unfortunately, Dr Saxena knew that it wasn't the case and smirked, "Sir! This rascal doesn't come from Hatod, he lives 600 meters from the uni*" .... Things were never the same for me again :(

* for those of you who understand hindi, what Dr. Saxena actually said was, "Arre sir, yeh kamina hatod se nahin aata, college ke saamne rehta hai!" (he had a weird of showing that he cared :D)

anyways, back to post topic - mirchi besan ki chutney - so what happened in Hatod was that since we didn't have a fridge, we didn't make loads of food, just enough for the meal; optimization algorithms are so freakin' popular in Indian Village - Dijkstra - INDIAN! (See Goodness Gracious Me to make sense of this joke). So what happens if gluttons like yours truly get hungry at midnight. We had pickles and everything but this particular chutney was AWESOME! I used to spread it on a chapati, make a roll and have it as a snack. If you like it hot, try this out - mmmmmm :p

Ingredients (to make enough for a week for 4 people like me :D):

Gram flour - 2 heaped tablespoon
Chillies chopped into rings - 50 grams or 20 in quantity
Lemon - One whole or 6 tablespoon bottled lemon juice
Salt - to taste (1 tablespoon for me)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
Oil - 50 ml

Note that for this recipe, heat is kept high throughout the process.

Heat the oil and when hot, add the mustard seeds, followed by cumin seeds. add the chopped chilli and turmeric. After 15 seconds add the gram flour and stir continuously to avoid formation of lumps. After 1 minute, add salt, stir, add lemon juice, stir and take off the heat immediately...... Great, now I am hungry!

4 comments:

Eric Fassbender said...

Dude, what a cracker story about the Uni Prof. I would have so loved to see your face when the truth came to light. Hilarious mate, hilarious and so typically Gaurav. I miss you mate :)

Gunjan said...

Eric, I was there and I can tell you that he wasn't the least bit embarrassed. He had his usual smart ass grin!

Eric Fassbender said...

One day it'll happen ... and I hope I will NOT be there. That's not going to be a nice sight.

Arun said...

Ah Gaurav, I love your anecdotes.

I'm sure I'll love your recipe too...just as soon as I figure out how to use this magical utensil called 'the spatula'.

Related Posts with Thumbnails